Seventy-one per cent of the studied population presented establis

Seventy-one per cent of the studied population presented established haemophilic arthropathy, reaching 80% if we exclude patients without find more bleeding phenotype. Forty-three per cent of these patients had one or two joints affected, 28% of them had three or four affected joints, 20% reported five or six affected joints and 9% more than six injured joints. An increase in established haemophilic arthropathy with age was observed. Forty-six patients underwent orthopaedic surgery at least once. These data show that on-demand therapy is not effective in preventing the development

of haemophilic arthropathy in severe haemophilic population with bleeding phenotype. Therefore, we suggest that the optimal treatment in these patients should be based on prophylaxis. We recommend analysing the reasons for ending prophylaxis, in case its reinstatement should be necessary. “
“Summary.  Assessment of musculoskeletal function in individuals with haemophilia has been attempted with clinimetric instruments, which use predetermined domains for assessing the same. LY294002 purchase This study introduces the application of an instrument, the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure (COPM), which is an open-ended questionnaire that allows patients to prioritize

their needs and rate their performance in different tasks of daily living as well as their satisfaction in performing them. To study the Tolmetin utility of COPM in evaluating the musculoskeletal functional status of patients with haemophilia and to assess its effectiveness in planning individualized management plans for them. COPM was administered to 67 individuals with haemophilia aged 10–55 years and the data were compared with functional deficits identified through FISH (Functional Independence Score for Haemophilia). A total of 31 performance difficulties in the areas of self-care (62%), productivity (21%) and leisure (17%) were identified by COPM. All eight domains of FISH were identified in COPM as problems in self-care. In addition to

these, COPM identified problems in the areas of productivity and leisure. In 78% of the responses on COPM, there was concordance between the performance and satisfaction scores. However, there was discordance between the two in the remaining 22% of responses. COPM is a useful tool for assessment of musculoskeletal dysfunction in haemophilia. It provides a greater insight into the needs of each patient and helps in planning individualized intervention strategies. “
“Beginning in the 1960s the care of persons with haemophilia began to improve dramatically through a series of transformative improvements in care: development of lyophilized factor concentrates, home care programmes, prophylaxis and (due to the tragedy of HIV/hepatitis) the development of virally safer plasma-derived and recombinant factor concentrates.

Comments are closed.